Thursday, February 9, 2012

About Me

My name is Josh Larison.  I am 18 years old and as my senior project for ThunderRidge High school I have joined a local Toastmasters club to hopefully improve my public speaking and leadership skills.  I have been going to the club for a couple months now, and two weeks ago I officially became a member once I reached the minimum age requirement of 18.  From the very first meeting that I visited, the group has been very welcoming.  I even stepped up and did a Table Topic (a short impromptu speech) the very first meeting that I went to.  Toastmasters has a mentoring program, so I took the opportunity and got together with a mentor who has been very helpful so far in teaching me about the different roles in the club and giving me advice.
                 

Tonight I am giving my Ice Breaker speech, which is the first speech in the ”Competent Communicaton” manual which has ten speeches to work through.  This speech only has to be four to six minutes and the topic is just to tell about your life such as your hobbies, job, family, and so on.  I am pretty nervous because this is my first prepared speech.  My table topics speeches that I have given so far have been on the short side, with all of them being under a minute.  My goal tonight is to reach the minimum four minute length and to not speed through the speech that I have planned out.  I am nervous, but I’m also ready to face this challenge of giving my first speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment