Thursday, April 5, 2012

Getting Better at Table Topics

I have gone to two meetings since my last post, and I feel that I've improved myself from some of the experiences that I had.  I did the role of the "ah counter" last week and counted both speaking disfluencies and laughs generated by each speaker.  This forced me to pay close attention to each speech being given as I tried to listen for certain words or moments.  In the past I have sometimes just totally spaced out when people are giving speeches and I miss some key details and things that I could use to improve my own speaking.  By filling this role in the club for a week, I am more capable of being fully attentive during speeches, which will help me in the long run.

I also had the chance to participate in table topics for both of the meetings.  During the meeting a week ago, I got asked a question that I didn't see coming and gave a jumbled response, which discouraged me a little.  However, this week, I actually spoke within the 1-2 minute time frame for table topics with my speech being around a minute and thirty seconds.  I feel very proud of this because I am actually improving, little by little.  All of my previous table topics had been under a minute, but I finally overcame that challenge.  I plan to continue persisting and doing table topics every week even though they make me feel uncomfortable because I know I will keep improving.

In two weeks, I will be giving my second speech.  The goal is "Organize Your Thoughts," which I don't think I'll have a problem with because one of the biggest compliments that my evaluator gave me on my icebreaker speech was my organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment