Thursday, April 12, 2012

Improving my Speaking Skills

Today's meeting was full of members and the speeches that were given were all great in my opinion.  The first two were normal speeches from members working out of the speech books and the third was given by our club speech contest winner who was practicing for the upcoming district competitions. All three of them were experienced and I felt that I could learn from them to improve my own speaking, especially the way they used gestures and involved the audience.  This was one of the area that my first speech needed improvement in, so hopefully I can incorporate them into my next one.

Table Topics made me nervous beforehand, like they always do, but I felt that in today's table topic I gave my strongest one yet.  I had no knowledge of the kind of question that I would be asked, but I was able to quickly think of an idea and made a solid speech which both got a main idea across and answered the question.  Plus, I spoke for over a minute and met the time requirement.  This really encouraged me to be more confident going to future meetings about Table Topics instead of worrying and being nervous about them for the whole meeting.

I have a busy schedule coming up in the next couple of weeks.  Next Thursday I will be giving my second speech and on the 27th I will give a speech to a board at school telling about my senior project of joining this club and the journey I have made as a Toastmaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment